NOVA is the most-watched prime time science series on American television, reaching an average of five million viewers weekly. NOVA is also the number one show amongst “cord cutters” in any genre. In addition to its weekly television broadcast, NOVA extends its award-winning science reporting online, producing an extensive list of resources and original content.
Launched in advance support of a broadcast special — this app follows the model of its highly successful predecessor, NOVA Elements. Users will be able to access an exclusive stream of the program before the official broadcast, in addition to the core game hosted by astrophysicist, and New York Times best selling author, Janna Levin (who also hosts the mini-series).
These apps are a key part of NOVA's digital strategy, transitioning the brand from a broadcast-centric offering to a digital media brand. With nearly 3 million downloads of the Elements App, these offerings are gaining traction with a new, and significantly younger audience who has yet to experience the brand in its traditional documentary format.
PBS, WGBH, NOVA, Sloan Foundation
In addition to extending the reach of the program and bringing the NOVA brand to new audiences — the team sought to build an app that would drive interest in the subject matter and the upcoming broadcast. The grant funded project was required to deliver upon the following concrete learning goals:
01. Users will be able to describe the life cycle of a star.
02. Users will learn about different types of celestial objects and their properties. Users will be able to articulate the effect of gravity on objects in space.
03. Users will be able to understand what black holes are and where they come from.
While we expect to gain traction in formal educational settings, the nature of this offering makes it accessible and approachable to a much larger audience.
01. Casual gamer pointed to the app via media or the iTunes App Store.
02. Assigned or demonstrated by a science educator as part of a lesson.
03. A PBS general audience member, directed to NOVA Labs via broadcast, web or social media.
Teens, Educators, Gamers, General Audience
Web Application, Interactive Data Visualizations, Game